US veto blocks UN anti-"Israel" resolution
The UN Security Council has failed to condemn ‘Israeli' raids on Gaza Strip after the United States vetoed an anti-‘Israel' resolution.
The council in a non-binding statement called only for an immediate end to all military activities in the Gaza Strip.
The statement came as ‘Israel' began a fresh wave of air strikes in the Gaza Strip that killed six people on Sunday. 230 people were killed and 800 wounded in similar attacks on Saturday.
The council called on the parties to address the humanitarian crisis in the territory but has not criticized the ‘Israeli' air attacks on the tiny region.
Croatia's UN Ambassador Neven Jurica read out a non-binding statement on behalf of the 15-member body that "called for an immediate halt to all violence" and on the parties "to stop immediately all military activities."
"The members of the Security Council expressed serious concern at the escalation of the situation in Gaza," he said, as the president of the council.
The council also called for the opening of border crossings into Gaza to address the serious humanitarian and economic needs in Gaza" and ensure a continuous supply of food and fuel as well as medical treatment.
US representative to UNSC, Zalmay Khalilzad, also defended the ‘Israeli' move, saying Tel Aviv has the right to self-defense.
"I regret the loss of any of all innocent life," he said, adding that Hamas rockets precipitated this situation.
The US, ‘Israel's' staunch ally, has so far vetoed 43 anti-Israeli resolutions sought by the council since 1972.
Since 2004, Washington has prevented the adoption of four resolutions which called for Tel Aviv to halt its operations in the Gaza Strip.
'Israel' has defied the other UN Security Council resolutions condemning its actions against Palestinians.