No Script

Please Wait...

Ashura 2020

 

Beirut Blast Toll Rises to Over 100 Dead, More Than 4,000 Wounded, Scores Missing

Beirut Blast Toll Rises to Over 100 Dead, More Than 4,000 Wounded, Scores Missing
folder_openLebanon access_timeone month ago
starAdd to favorites

By Staff, Agencies

Head of the Lebanese Red Cross George Kettaneh said at least 100 people were killed and more than 4,000 wounded in the massive explosion in Beirut on Tuesday.

Kettaneh added the toll could rise further, and that the Red Cross was coordinating with the health ministry for morgues to take victims because hospitals were overwhelmed.

He also told Al Mayadeen TV channel, “What we are witnessing is a huge catastrophe,” adding, “There are victims and casualties everywhere.”

"Until now over 4,000 people have been injured and over 100 have lost their lives. Our teams are still conducting search and rescue operations in the surrounding areas," a Red Cross statement said Wednesday.

Relatively, Lebanese Health Minister Hamad Hasan said earlier that the toll was expected to rise.

“There are many people missing. People are asking the emergency department about their loved ones and it is difficult to search at night because there is no electricity,” Hassan told Reuters.

Comments