US Can’t Extend Arms Embargos against Iran - Hatami
By Staff, Agencies
Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami expressed confidence about Washington’s failure in extending the arms embargos against the Islamic Republic.
“The US administration’s demand for extending the arms embargos is an excessive and biased demand and the world states do not accept this demand and will not accompany it,” General Hatami said on Tuesday.
“In such conditions the US statesmen will not succeed in extending the arms embargos against the Islamic Republic of Iran at the UN Security Council,” Hatami added.
Relatively, he underlined that the sanctions have left no impact on Iran’s progress in the defensive field.
In relevant remarks last month, Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps [IRGC] Major General Hossein Salami underlined that arms embargos would leave no impact on Iran's defense power but rather persuade Iranian experts to produce home-made military equipment and weapons.
"We are under a global arms embargo; arms embargo on one hand and threats by the US and its allies on the other hand. The arms sanctions have created an opportunity for our scientists to build and manufacture defensive needs by reliance on domestic power," General Salami told reporters.
He stressed that extension of the arms embargo against Iran "will not affect our defense power and we will witness the unveiling of surprising systems [by the IRGC] in the near future".
General Salami also said that the IRGC Ground Force does not need imports of any military systems from foreign states.
The arms embargo on Iran restricts Iran’s ability to obtain and transfer weapons and expires in October. The expiration is part of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal that the United States walked away from in 2018.