Daesh Claims Responsibility For London Terror Attack
By Staff, Agencies
The Wahhabi Daesh [Arabic acronym for “ISIS” / “ISIL”] group has claimed responsibility for the terror attack in London, UK on Sunday.
"The perpetrator of the attack in Streatham district in south London yesterday is a fighter of ‘Islamic State’, and carried out the attack in response to calls to attack the citizens of coalition countries," a statement carried by the group's Amaq news agency said, according to Reuters.
Sudesh Amman, 20, the suspect in the attack, had previously praised the terror group, shared an online al-Qaeda magazine.
He was killed by armed officers in Streatham, London at around 2 p.m. on February 2 after two people were stabbed, London's Metropolitan Police said.
One victim, a man in his 40s, was taken to hospital in a life-threatening condition, London's Metropolitan Police said. His condition is no longer life-threatening.
The other victim, a woman in her 50s, was treated in hospital for her injuries and has since been released. Another woman, in her 20s, was taken to hospital after sustaining minor injuries thought to have been caused by glass after gunfire.
Police said a device was found strapped to Amman's body that was later determined to be fake.
It has since emerged that Amman had been recently released from prison after serving half of his three year sentence for terrorism offenses.
Amman, who was jailed for possessing and distributing terrorist documents in December 2018, was staying at a hostel in Streatham since his release in January, the Evening Standard reported.
In a statement, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said his government will announce "further plans for fundamental changes to the system for dealing with those convicted of terrorism offences" on Monday.
London mayor Sadiq Khan blasted the government for failing to tackle the issue after a terror attack by another recently released prisoner just over two months ago.
"The man responsible for yesterday's attack in #Streatham was released from prison only days ago having served a sentence for terror offences. Something is clearly going seriously wrong - and the Government have serious questions to answer," he tweeted.