Netanyahu, Kerry Discuss Calming US over Settler Plan
Zionist Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke over phone to US Secretary of State John Kerry in a bid to calm Washington's anger over new illegal "Israeli" settlement plans, an official said Sunday.
The plan to construct a new settlement in the heart of the occupied West Bank provoked an unusually harsh response last week from the White House, which accused "Israel" of betraying its trust.
US President Barack Obama's administration accelerated its criticism of "Israeli" settlement building in the West Bank in recent months, warning it is destroying hopes for what they refer to as a two-state solution to the "Israeli"-Palestinian conflict.
Such criticism added to "Israeli" concerns Obama may seek to lay out parameters for a solution to the conflict or even support a UN Security Council resolution "Israel" opposes before leaving office in January.
The "Israeli" official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Netanyahu told Kerry the new settlement plan was intended only as an alternative "if no other solution is found" to house residents of a nearby Jewish outpost that is under a court order to be demolished.
The plan that provoked US anger involves 300 units in the heart of the West Bank, roughly halfway between the Palestinian cities of Ramallah and Nablus.
"Israeli" officials dispute that and say the homes will be located in an existing settlement, although Peace Now said the site is up to two kilometers [1.2 miles] away.
The "Israeli" occupation regime has so far advanced plans for 98 of the 300 units -- even though only around 40 families live in the outpost, known as Amona that must be demolished.
The plans emerged days after Obama approved a $38 billion "Israeli" military aid package and attended former president Shimon Peres' funeral in the occupied city of al-Quds.
Source: News Agencies, Edited by website team