No Script

Please Wait...

Al-Ahed Telegram

DAILY SCOPE: Illegal Internet Network Serious Issues, 600 Thousand Lebanese Users

DAILY SCOPE: Illegal Internet Network Serious Issues, 600 Thousand Lebanese Users
folder_openLebanon access_time4 years ago
starAdd to favorites

Local Editor

NEWSPAPERS' HEADLINES:

Internet Scandal: Smuggling 600 Thousand Phone Lines

Putin Relocates in Syria: "Geneva" in Place of "Sukhoi"

AN-NAHAR:

De Mistura Warns from Return of War in Case Geneva Talks Fail

AL-AKHBAR:

Moscow's Surprise: It is Time for Settlement

AL-JOMHOURIA:

Putin Shuffles Cards Again

AL-LIWAA:

Russian Surprise Withdrawal from Syria: Successful Talks or New Map!

Lebanon has been the scene of "Israeli" espionage by every means for long years as part of its war against Lebanon and the resistance forces that have been protecting the sovereignty of the country. Yet it seems the scenario has not come to an end, as Lebanese newspapers continue to discuss the illegal internet "microwave" network provided through Cyprus and Turkey to Lebanon.

DAILY SCOPE: Illegal Internet Network Serious Issues, 600 Thousand Lebanese Users

Also, papers followed up on the waste management crisis, as news on the deteriorating problem is being circulated among fears of a worsening health crisis, as the piles of garbage remain in the streets of Lebanon.

Newspapers issued on Tuesday also discussed the Russian surprise, as it declared it will withdraw its forces from Syria, probably paving the way for more trust with the Americans and supporting the Geneva talks.

AS-SAFIR: Illegal Internet Networks Serious Issue, State Should Have Control

More information on the illegal internet networks has unraveled during the past two days. MP Hassan Fadlullah, head of the parliamentary media committee told As-Safir newspaper that the illegal internet network exposed lately is "a serious issue", assuring that "the state must have control over the matter."

"The illegal internet network is a dangerous issue that is growing even bigger, and the State must put hands on it because it has legal, financial, and security repercussions" As-Safir quoted Fadlallah as saying.

The MP announced that he will call the committee for a meeting next Monday to tackle the issue, in which Ministers of Telecommunications, Interior and Defense as well as State Prosecutor Samir Hammoud and General Financial Prosecutor Ali Ibrahim will take part.

As-Safir went on to say there are four illegal "communication intersections" with a tremendous ability of 40GB per second WiFi network speed which is equivalent to a third of the international capacities set by the Ministry of Telecommunications in service.

Last week, sources uncovered that the owners of these internet stations are buying international internet "microwave" bandwidth with nominal cost from Turkey and Cyprus, sold to the Lebanese people at very low prices. A technical source told As-Safir that around 600 thousand Lebanese citizens are using the network.

Sources also told the newspaper that the illegal internet services are provided by a company in Cyprus that shares good relations with "Israel", and that there is no doubt this puts Lebanon at the risk of security breach as the company lacks the basic control standards and by that exposes Lebanon's security to third parties. Hence, the sources added that all the Data of the Lebanese people being exchanged is exposed to "Israeli" espionage.

The story was first exposed by al-Binaa newspaper last week, as it reported that an internet network scandal surfaced on Tuesday in Lebanon, after companies set up massive equipment in rural areas to take Internet services from outside Lebanon and then provide citizens with the service in an illegal way.

Military sources had warned that access to internet services is being provided through what is known as "microwave" networks that can disseminate internet access to the Lebanese people. By that, the sources explained that "every Lebanese connected on the network is open to tapping or espionage, and that is applicable to all smart objects and communication apparatuses."

AN-NAHAR: No Zero Hour on Waste Crisis Yet

The Lebanese people do not know when will the eight-month trash crisis see a solution, as ministerial sources reported that Prime Minister Tammam Salam chaired a meeting on Monday but did not set a date for the implementation of an approved plan to resolve the crisis.

According to An-Nahar newspaper, Salam ordered the security forces to enforce a temporary solution where three landfills will be opened to contain the garbage spread across Lebanon, amid fears of public disorder that might be triggered by some parties.

Sources further told the paper that officials at the meeting assured that even though they did not agree on the zero hour, yet the countdown has started.

The waste crisis had erupted in July when Lebanon's largest landfill in Naameh was closed. Trash began piling up on the streets of Beirut and Mount Lebanon, forcing the dumping of wastes in makeshift sites and along riverbanks. Heavy rain last week brought with it flooded streets coupled with waste, as experts warned of the health and environmental impact of the crisis.

The fears of the government lie in the challenge imposed by civil society organizations, as they have decided to hit the streets to protest the pending waste crisis in the country and the opening of local landfills near residential areas. Meanwhile, sources have reported that the total quantity of the accumulated garbage in Lebanon's streets has reached 350 thousand tons, which will need 45 days at least to be moved.

AL-AKHBAR: Waste Crisis Solution on Way, Civil Society Protests Halted

The Lebanese Interior Ministry said that a plan to resolve the waste crisis will be put during the coming few hours. It also added that a meeting in the Grand Serail took place on Monday, which was attended by high-profile security officials to follow up on the latest developments related to the waste management crisis.

On a related note, sources told al-Akhbar newspaper that the civil society organizations have postponed their protests to the opening of the Naameh landfill, in a step to coordinate with the people of the area and reach a unified decision.

Activists from the You Stink movement briefly blocked on Monday morning vital highways leading to the capital Beirut to protest the Cabinet's failure to manage the eight-month-old waste crisis, where security forces had to intervene to reopen roads.

Source: al-Ahed News

Comments